Friday, September 5, 2014

12,949 days wasn't enough yet it was perfect


I lost my father on September 1st.  Having him for 12,949 days was just not enough, frankly a million days wouldn’t have but I don’t feel cheated in the least.  Over thirty-five years there is nothing a father and son could have done that I missed out on.  His name was my first word, we toasted beers, we watched games on TV and listened to games on the radio before everything was televised.  He coached my little league team and watch as I coached my oldest son in tee ball.  We made trips to Yankee Stadium,  we smoked cigars when he retired.  He was front row at my weeding and my birth as well as the birth of my three boys.   I grew up in his home and I am now raising my sons in the same home.  He’s been my co-worker and my neighbor.  Above all, there was barely a day I didn't have (and appreciate) the pleasure of either seeing or at least speaking to the man who I still want to grow up to be just like.  It certainly isn’t the number of years you’re given with the most important people in your life but what you do with those years and that you realize who those important people are before they've left you.  Keeping that in mind, I believe this is why I have been smiling much more than crying over these past few days.  35+ years and not a sentence uttered in regret, not a sentiment left unsaid and not an experience unexperienced. 

  As life went on, I only looked up to and admired the man more.  Certainly as a boy you look at your father like a superhero, not seeing a single flaw in the man.  As I grew up and had a family of my own I realized this perception of flawlessness was more real than ever.   There are certainly times as a father I have doubts in my abilities to provide, understand, parent, discipline, etc…  I suppose that’s only natural.  Especially during a period of time I spent as a stay home parent, I felt a major divide between the standard of fathering I wanted to provide my children and what I was actually delivering.  Then there was a day I took my boys to my front porch where my father was sitting just next door on his porch and I flashed back to my youth when I would sit on that very porch with my dad….my grandfather on the porch my father now occupied and everything fell in place for me.  I can’t tell you what I received for Christmas when I was 6 or 10 or 16 but I can name the menu of food served at my grandparent’s home every Christmas Eve.  I can’t tell you the brand name of the spikes or gloves I wore in little league but I remember my dad taking me out to practice pop ups, just the two of us.  So many of these examples where what he gave me didn’t matter in the least, what I hold on to is the warmth, patients and understanding with which he gave to me.  Some of the best memories of my life took place in front of our family homes with my brothers, baby sister who I love best of all, my mom and dad, my grandparents and extended family.  None of it cost a dime; we weren't doing anything terribly exciting, just enjoying each other’s company but I cherish and remember it so vividly.  I realize I have been blessed with an amazing opportunity to give my sons these exact same gifts.  The gifts my father game to me that didn’t cost a thing because they are too valuable to have a price attached.  My only chance to pay him back is to do for my sons as he did for us and as a father, all I can ask in return from them is the same. 


  I am going to miss my dad every day for as long as I live, I loved him very much.  Yet I will do so with a smile and full heart knowing he gave me everything I will ever need to be a good man, husband and father.  I will never hold a candle to the bar he set but if I give it my best effort I know he’ll look on me with the same pride and love he showed me in life.  What more could a person want?  

No comments:

Post a Comment